Onion straws are easy to make and taste great on a burger, steak, salad, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, or as-is.
- 1 Large Red Onion or Yellow Onion
- 2cups Buttermilk OR 2 Tbsp White Vinegar and 2 cups Milk
2 cups All-purpose Flour
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Corn Meal
1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
- Pour butter milk or milk with white vinegar in dish.
- Slice onion thin and place in milk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil to 375°.
- Toss onions in flour mixture until fully coated.
- Place onions into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Recipe recommendation for onion straws, try our Steakhouse Burger recipe